F13 - Admission of Resident Students

Addison Northwest Supervisory Union Policy


SECTION:      STUDENTS                                                                                                    CODE F13




Any legal pupil who is a resident as defined in 16 V.S.A. §1075 shall be eligible to attend the school within the Addison Northwest Supervisory Union serving their town of residence.


In accordance with 16 V.S.A. §1073 (a), the school boards of the Addison Northwest Supervisory Union have established the requirement that a student (a) must have attained the age of five (5) years old on or before September 1 in order to be admitted to kindergarten and (b) must have attained the age of six (6) years old on or before September 1 in order to be admitted to grade one (1).


Administrative procedures for consideration and granting of waivers to these entrance age requirements shall be communicated to parents as appropriate.


Residence Criteria
For purposes of determining residency, the school board will apply the definitions contained in 16 V.S.A. §1075(a). Criteria for proving permanent residency shall include voter registration, automobile registration, employment, postal address, property ownership and other indications of intent to reside permanently within the town school district. The burden of proving residency or any other basis for entitlement to school enrollment or tuition assistance shall be on the student and/or his or her parent or guardian.


The residency of pupils under the care and custody of a state agency or child placement agency, children of homeless parents, and independent children shall be determined in accord with the requirements of 16 V.S.A. §1075 (c)-(h).


Change of Residence
Parents or guardians of students who are residents of and enrolled in the school serving their town of residence, and who move from the district before the school year ends, may apply to the Superintendent for permission to finish the school year on a pro-rated tuition basis or with a tuition waiver. The Superintendent shall consider the student's age, attendance record during the year, progress in school and other relevant factors when considering requests to remain enrolled in school for the remainder of the school year, and shall make recommendations to the Board accordingly.


Decisions and Appeals
Decisions regarding student residency or continued enrollment except for state-placed students will be made by the Board. An interested person or taxpayer may appeal a residency decision of the Board to the Commissioner of Education as provided in 16 V.S.A. §1075(b).

Date Adopted/Revised:

June, 2007; October 2008


Legal Reference(s):


16 V.S.A. §§1073 et seq. (Legal pupil)


16 V.S.A. §1075 (c)-(h) (State placed students)


VT State Board of Education Manual of Rules & Practices, §1250 (Discrimination)

Cross Reference:

Tuition Payment (F16)