LSB AppENDIX J I1
CODE: SB/I1 Vermont Standards Board for Professional Educators Policy
Rule 5435.1 of the Vermont State Board of Education authorizes the Standards Board to implement standards and procedures for the reinstatement of lapsed licenses. Rule 5435.1 directs the Commissioner to reinstate a lapsed license when an applicant shows evidence of professional growth equivalent to that which would have been required for the maintenance of each lapsed license or endorsement that the applicant seeks to have reinstated. Accordingly, the VSBPE will require the following procedures and standards for the reinstatement of lapsed licenses.
- As required by Rule 5435.1, applicants for reinstatement of lapsed licenses or endorsements must submit evidence of professional growth equivalent to that which would have been required for the maintenance of the lapsed licenses or endorsements. VSBPE policy Code SB/H1 states the credit hour requirements of the VSBPE.
- Local or Regional Standards Boards will retain authority to evaluate the professional development activities of applicants whose licenses or endorsements lapse while the applicant is employed by an entity within the LSB or RSB’s jurisdiction.
- The authority of Local or Regional Standards Boards to evaluate the professional development activities of applicants who are employed by an entity within the LSB or RSB’s jurisdiction when a license or endorsement lapses shall be retained for two years following the date that the license or endorsement lapses.
- During the two year period during which an LSB or RSB retains jurisdiction over lapsed licenses or endorsements, the LSB or RSB shall apply the same standards with regard to individual plans for professional development and approval of credits for reinstatement as it applies to license renewals.
- The Licensing Office of the Department of Education shall have authority to reinstate the license or endorsement of any applicant who is not employed by an entity within the jurisdiction of an LSB or RSB when his or her license or endorsement expires, or who has not been employed by an entity within an LSB or RSB’s jurisdiction for two or more years.
- An applicant who is denied reinstatement by an LSB, RSB or by the Licensing Office shall have appeal rights under Rule 5713 .1 of the Vermont State Board of Education.
DATE ADOPTED: 4/2/01
LEGAL REF.: Rules 5435.1, 5713.1
CROSS REF.: VSBPE Policy SB/H1
VERMONT STANDARDS BOARD FOR PROFESSIONAL EDUCATORS VSBPE POLICY MANUAL: Section I – Lapsed Licenses 37